I didn't know there was that much indie crap released each year.
I don't get why Lana is getting so much hate....the album is good.
Why isn't Muse on any of these lists either? Also Solange's EP is awesome.
Raya Martin's bitch
25. Thee Oh Sees, Putrifiers II.
24. Shearwater, Animal Joy.
23. Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Psychedelic Pill.
22. Flying Lotus, Until the Quiet Comes.
21. Action Bronson, Blue Chips.
20. Kelly Hogan, I Like to Keep Myself in Pain.
19. Poliça, Give You the Ghost.
18. Maps & Atlases, Beware and Be Grateful .
17. Iris DeMent, Sing the Delta.
16. Alabama Shakes, Boys & Girls.
15. Ben Sollee, Half Made Man.
14. Carina Round, Tigermending.
13. Dr. John, Locked Down.
12. Swans, The Seer.
11. Niki and the Dove, Instinct.
10. Jack White, Blunderbuss.
9. Lana Del Rey, Born to Die.
8. Father John Misty, Fear Fun.
7. Japandroids, Celebration Rock.
6. Chromatics, Kill for Love.
5. Dirty Projectors, Swing Lo Magellan.
4. Bat for Lashes, The Haunted Man.
3. Santigold, Master of My Make-Believe.
2. Jessie Ware, Devotion.
1. Frank Ocean, Channel Orange.
Yay for Swans and Jessie Ware!
In & Out
That list is pretty much perfect.
Jessie Ware, Bat For Lashes, Santigold, Niki and The Dove!
Um, the Gaga version of Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe is WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the album version. Mostly because their solution to replacing her vocal is fucking awful. It's a decent song. Mostly just cuz of the smoothness of the production.
Anyways, glad to see Chromatics getting some love on these year end lists. They've had a banner year. Glad every time Grimes pops up. And I love that Lana's getting some love, too.
Gold of Heart
Jessie Ware! So excited that she's getting so much love in these lists.
I can't get into either The Chromatics or Swans. At all.
Slant list is my favourite so far. Seeing Niki and the Dove making it, and Santigold and Jessi Ware at the top is amazing and obviously, so deserving.
Originally Posted by cdmc
This is beyond.
Love the mentions for Jessie, Lana, and Frank in Slant's list but...no Fiona? Really?
Pitchfork has started to unveil their year-end lists, beginning with their Top 100 songs. Numbers 100-51 were revealed today, followed by the top 50 tomorrow. Their list of top albums will be released later in the week.
Pitchfork's Top 100 Songs of 2012
100. "Just" - Swearin'
99. "Under The Westway" - Blur
98. "Oldie" - Odd Future
97. "Golden Light" - Twin Shadow
96. "Time" - Merchandise
95. "Share My Love" - R. Kelly
94. "Tonight" - Saint Etienne
93. "King of Hearts (Richard X Remix Edit)" - Cassie
92. "Val Venis" - King Louie
91. "Cut The World" - Antony and the Johnsons
90. "Yes, I Know" - Daphni
89. "773 Love" - Jeremih
88. "Goldie" - A$AP Rocky
87. "Monoliths" - Lotus Plaza
86. "Love Sosa" - Chief Keef
85. "Get Free" - Major Lazer
84. "Brains" - Lower Dens
83. "Cold Nites" - How To Dress Well
82. "There He Go" - Schoolboy Q
81. "No. 1 Against The Rush" - Liars
80. "Harlem Shake" - Baauer
79. "My Life" - Rich Kidz featuring Waka Flocka Flame
78. "Bad Thing" - King Tuff
77. "Angels" - The xx
76. "Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage?" - Blawan
75. "Werkin' Girls" - Angel Haze
74. "Baby" - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
73. "Bandz a Make Her Dance (Remix)" - Juicy J featuring Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz
72. "Destiny" - John Talabot featuring Pional
71. "Lupine Dominus" - Thee Oh Sees
70. "Pyramid" - Four Tet
69. "Wut" - Le1f
68. "Goooo" - TNGHT
67. "How Long Have You Known" - DIIV
66. "Stay Schemin" - Rick Ross featuring Drake and French Montana
65. "Wet Blanket" - Metz
64. "In The Same Room" - Julia Holter
63. "Constant Conversations" - Passion Pit
62. "73-78 (Beck Remix)" - Philip Glass
61. "110%" - Jessie Ware
60. "Nautilus" - Anna Meredith
59. "Ode To Victory" - Mac DeMarco
58. "Fineshrine" - Purity Ring
57. "Big Beast" - Killer Mike featuring Bun B, T.I., and Trouble
56. "Beautiful Son" - Peaking Lights
55. "Do You" - Miguel
54. "Husbands" - Savages
53. "The Fall" - Rhye
52. "Serpents" - Sharon Van Etten
51. "Backseat Freestyle" - Kendrick Lamar
مشکلیں اتنیں پڑیں کے آساں ھو گّیں
I hope Jessie Ware makes more appearance(s) in the top 50 with her better songs. I don't think we will see Sharon Van Etten after her one entry here. I hoped to see Passion Pit a bit higher as I don't think that we'll see them up there as well.
So Grimes' Oblivion was named song of the year to Pitchfork, followed by the true masterpiece of the year, Frank Ocean's Pyramids. I adore Oblivion and it is likely to end in my top five songs of the year but I thought Ocean had this in the bag. They probably didn't want to give him both song and album of the year, he will grab the latter.
A mention for Godspeed's We drift like worried fire wouldn't have hurt, either.
I'm surprised too, given their glowing review of Godspeed You's album, that one of its two long tracks didn't make the list. I wasn't in love with the overall album, but either of those tracks would have deserved a spot.
Regardless, happy again for the Grimes love, thrilled to see Kill for Love so high, and--I'm gonna say it, as much as she's overall a bit of an aesthetic mess and her pop sucks, I was happy to see Beez in the Trap get some love. Minaj is still a premiere emcee. Makes it all the more disappointing that she messes around with the pop at all (and usually falls on her face).
Last edited by kupo; 12-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.
They really spread the wealth around with Frank, too. Like you said, he'll likely be their #1 album, so going with Grimes is fine with me.
Originally Posted by Aldo
I love that Usher is at #3. "Climax" is such a wonderful song.
مشکلیں اتنیں پڑیں کے آساں ھو گّیں
I can't be more happy for Chairlift's(I Belong In Your Arms is such an infectious and upbeat song)and Bat for Lashes's such a high placement. Though I would have picked Lilies form the latter, my top song of 2012 most likely.
hit me like a tom.
Must admit that I've just heard most of these songs here for the first time, so improptu ranking of their top 10:
10. Jai Paul
8. Kendrick Lamarr
7. Frank Ocean
6. Bat For Lashes
5. Tame Impala
3. Beach House
1. Fiona Apple
lol, I feel racist. RnB's just not my thing.
a vote for Nolte is a vote for Busey
Has there been this much consensus behind one album since Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy?
"This is not your daddy's HBO version of Mandela," said Weinstein. "This is the kickass version of Mandela."
This is beyond.
Great mention of "Werewolf" in there.
I feel like Bon Iver was near the top of pretty much every list last year, no?
Originally Posted by makemeameteor
Pitchfork's top ten is HORRIBLE. Every other song in their top fifty is better than anything in the top ten.